The territory of Murlo was speckled with small and big castles that showed the historical importance of this region; some of them are still visible. Others, due to time and to the indifference of the man, are completely ruined or only few remain still visible. A complete list follows for who are interested in the most important traces left by history over the last 1000 years.
Records date back to 1151. Formerly belonged to the Ardengheschi, then to the Bishop of Siena. Well preserved with boundary wall, counterfort and round towers. In the middle of the imposing complex (now a private residence) an old church dedicated to St. John.
Casciano di Vescovado, also known as Casciano "delle Donne"
Records date from 1189. The on1y remains still visible are the walls next to the church which has an even older door with a lowered arch.
Castel di Notte
Approximately half of the basement at the foot of the tower remains
Conventaccio or Rocca Gonfienti
Remains of the walls haphazardly spread over the hillside overlooking the Ombrone river. Difficult to reach. Belonged to the Ardengheschi and then to the borough of Siena and the Ranuccini. Records date back to 1189.
Records from 1189. Situated on a former Etruscan settlement. Alternative seat (with Murlo) of the Bishop of Siena. Important strategic position during the Siena wars. Destroyed. A few ruins recently consolidated remain.
Records from 1318. Remains of the castle wall and traces of boundary wall beside the abandoned farmhouse of Gavine.
During the second half of the 13th century it was a small community in the Siena domain. Remains exist within the construction of existing buildings.
Small community existing during the second half of the 13th century under the domain of Siena. Transformed in villa in 1500 with later extensions.
Difficult to identify, probably in the vicinity of the present bridge (formerly Ponte a Foiano). Records date from 1102.
Remains of towers with pieces of wall near abandoned farmhouses.
Ruins of walls on the summit of the hill of the same name. Difficult to reach. No records.
Fortress with records dating back to the beginning of the 13th century, conquered by the exiled ghibellini (overcome by Siena after a long siege). Destroyed by the Sienese. Extensive ruins of the boundary wall are visible on the hillside.
Castle of the Bishops of Siena. Records date back to 1055. Destroyed by the Montalcino who rose up against Siena with the help of Florence and Orvieto in 1233. No trace remains.
Records in 1055. Property of the Counts Ardengheschi then under Sienese jurisdiction from 1202. Ruins remain beside the present building. A reconstructed tower and large underground vaults are visible.
Pian del Re
No definite records. Large portions of wall in the woods forming a trapezoidal pIan with two ruins of walls of a circular pIan.
Poggio Castello, also called Castelvecchio
Probably a primitive settlement from Montepescini. At about 500 metres from the village: fragments of wall with a well leading underground .. Parts of boundary wall
Records date from 1189. The castle was conquered by the exiled Sienese Ghibellini, completely destroyed after being reconquered. No obvious remains.
Large complex of buildings of various periods. Two sides of the walls and comer towers identifiable. Granary of the Ospedale della Scala.
Records from 1055. Belonging to the Ardenghesca. Almost completely abandoned and in ruins.
Records from 1202. Ardenghesca property, part of the domain of Siena in the second half of the 13th century. Stone towers covered in ivy with fragments of the walls.